2017 was a year that brought along interesting changes.
Trump officially sworn in as the 45th US President, same-sex marriage was legalised in Australia, rising tensions between North Korea and the US raised to new levels, and bitcoin prices got on to a new level too.
As we move well into the New Year and wonder what 2018 may bring us, many of us would like to work on our new year resolutions and aspirations for a fulfilling year. As we hope to bring about more positive change in our lives, it is always useful to know that we are not alone in our quest for the better.
It is always inspiring to see how others have succeeded before us and learn from how they triumphed amidst challenges and uncertainties.
Here we offer a small glimpse, via a compilation of advice and quotes from the leaders of our time.
On dreams and chasing them
- “No matter how tough the chase is, you should always have the dream you saw on the first day. It’ll keep you motivated and rescue you from any weak thoughts.” – Jack Ma, Founder and Executive Chairman, Alibaba Group
- “Dreaming champions aspiration spurs innovation, leads to change, and propels the world forward. Dream big and you will be rewarded… trust me.” – Richard Branson, Founder, Virgin Group
- “Whatever you decide to do, do it with passion and all of the energy that you have.” – Mary Barra, Chairman and CEO, General Motors
- “Life is fragile. We’re not guaranteed a tomorrow, so give it everything you’ve got.” – Tim Cook, CEO, Apple Inc.
- “If you dream small dreams, you may succeed in building something small. For many people, that is enough. But if you want to achieve widespread impact and lasting value, be bold.” – Howard Schultz, Executive Chairman, Starbucks
- “You know what it’s like to wake up in the middle of the night with a vivid dream? And you know that if you don’t have pencil and pad by the bed, it will be completely gone by the next morning. Sometimes it’s important to wake up and stop dreaming. When a really great dream shows up, grab it.” – Larry Page, Founder, Google Inc.
- “Passion is energy. Feel the power that comes from focusing on what excites you.” – Oprah Winfrey, TV Personality
- “The thing that motivates me is a very common form of motivation. And that is, with other folks counting on me, it’s so easy to be motivated.” – Jeff Bezos, Founder and Chairman, Amazon.com
- “If all my bridge coach ever told me was that I was ‘satisfactory’, I would have no hope of ever getting better. How would I know who was the best? How would I know what I was doing differently?” – Bill Gates, Founder, Microsoft Corporation
On goal setting and getting things done
- “Read your goals aloud ten times a day!” – Jack Ma, Founder and Executive Chairman, Alibaba Group
- “Work smart. Get things done. No nonsense. Move fast.” – Susan Wojcicki, CEO, YouTube
- “I always did something that I was a little not ready to do. I think that is how you grow. When there’s a moment of ‘Wow, I’m not so sure that I can do this’, and you push through those moments, it’s then that you have a breakthrough.” – Marissa Mayer, former CEO, Yahoo!
- “Rarely are opportunities presented to you in a perfect way. In a nice little box with a yellow bow on top. ‘Here, open it, it’s perfect. You’ll love it.’ Opportunities — the good ones — are messy, confusing, and hard to recognize. They’re risky. They challenge you.” – Susan Wojcicki, CEO, YouTube
- “The biggest risk is not taking any risk… In a world that’s changing really quickly, the only strategy that is guaranteed to fail is not taking risks.” – Mark Zuckerberg, Chairman and CEO, Facebook
- “I learned always to take on things I’d never done before. Growth and comfort do not coexist.” – Ginni Rometty, Chairman and CEO, IBM
- “Opportunities come infrequently. When it rains gold, put out the bucket, not the thimble.” – Warren Buffett, Chairman and CEO, Berkshire Hathaway
- “In the end, we are our choices. Build yourself a great story.” – Jeff Bezos, Founder and Chairman, Amazon.com
On success and leadership
- “Success isn’t about how much money you make; it’s about the difference you make in people’s lives.” – Michelle Obama, former First Lady of the United States
- “Leadership is about making others better as a result of your presence, and making sure that impact lasts in your absence.” – Sheryl Sandberg, COO, Facebook
- “Just because you are CEO, don’t think you have landed. You must continually increase your learning, the way you think, and the way you approach the organization. I’ve never forgotten that.” – Indra Nooyi, Chairman and CEO, PepsiCo
As Jeff Bezos nicely sums it up…
“Work hard, have fun, and make history”
Warning: Buy Now, Pay Later racks up Debt nearing $1 billion over the coming Christmas holidays.
Instarent set to Disrupt with easy app Solution for Real Estate
Independent Reserve rolls out KPMG Crypto Tax Estimator in world first
Myriota and AIMS Partner in tech trial to track Health of Australia’s Tropical Waters